Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We are so DONE (Late Post, Very Late)

Time to let out a sigh of relief, it is DONE!!!
Ok so when the race season starts up I am excited and when the race season ends I am excited, and usually I am equally excited for both, however this race season has seemed very long and this mama/wife needs a break.  A break from the list making, list following, packing of gear, packing of camper, packing of kids (because although they pack their own stuff I have to make them a list to work off of), and a break from all the work racing really is when you are a race mama.  There was a lot of fun had this summer, and great friends and memories made but I need the fall and winter months to come. The slower pace that the cooler weather brings, where I clean house on a Saturday and Sunday we (rather I) watch Lifetime Network movies and football and eat something delicious out of the Crockpot.  I long for sweaters, thick socks and warm blankets.  I love fall and winter even too, but mostly fall.  So a little recap on this weekend because not only was it the last race of the season but it also marked a great day in my history.
To start our weekend adventure Billings Montana was our destination and with two little girls who are impatient and want to see their friends and get out of the truck already it was a long four plus hours, as there were potty breaks.  But we got there Saturday night around a quarter to five and as a surprise for the girls dropped them off with Papa who was staying at the Bighorn Hotel.  He had planned this drop off and took the girls to The Reef for a couple of hours and then to dinner at Burger King.  Oh yeah you could easily say Papa and Nana rock!!  While the girls were soaking up the water and fun Shane and I set up the camper, unloaded dirt bikes, walked the track, got everyone signed up to race the next day with check cards taped on to helmets and then I did a quick change and it was off to dinner for us.  Because the other important part of this weekend was that Sunday was our 2 year anniversary.  Oh yes people we made it 2 years, and we are a month shy of being together for 11 years!!!  We tried to get into a little Italian place we keep seeing but the line was out the door so far there were people sitting in the grass lounging and I was starving here so that was not happening.  Next stop Outback, I know some of you are thinking that is not a romantic dinner, but I didn’t need romance at that moment I needed food, and my only conditions were good food, and some place we don’t have in Helena, Outback fit the bill perfectly.  We got a buzzer thing because the wait was 20-25 minutes and headed to the bar to have a drink.  Oh yeah we are romantic I know, while sitting there the very nice bartender asks us if we are eating or waiting for a table, I almost attacked him at the thought of food, and told Shane we could eat at the bar that was fine with me.  It was delicious food, great company and I couldn’t have asked for a better anniversary dinner.  I will mention before we left Helena my hubby surprised me with roses so I was already in dreamland as he doesn’t get me flowers very often and when he does they are gorgeous and well thought and planned out flowers.  Also he gave me a card Sunday morning that still melts my heart when I think about it.  After dinner back to the track to get two little munchkins and ourselves off to bed as it was race time in the morning. 
Race number one was the girls, and they did pretty well on a hard track, 7th for Kaleigh and 9th for Lauryn, the track had been groomed and was well soft and wonderful for big bikes but was swallowing the little bikes, oh well they had so much fun and there were no major injuries.  Lauryn had to finish in front of one little girl and was looking like she was going to do just that when she wrecked and the little girl got by her.  They got to the finish line and the mom of the other little girl looked at Lauryn and said that was a terrible way for her to beat you and Lauryn looked at her put her hands in the air and said That’s ok we all had fun.  I have been a beaming proud mom before but I am pretty sure my chest filled with pride at how big Lauryn was at that moment.  She was so confident and sure of herself and there were no underlying hard feelings she truly was ok with losing that one and was just happy to have raced and had a good time and she was sure her fellow competitors felt the same way it was amazing.  Next up was daddy, and he got the tough course, but he had a great time, he ran over a snake and took a couple of spills but no major injuries and he ended up in 7th.  Another race completed and the end to a season.  The end of the year awards ceremony was after the races so we decided to stay the night and save ourselves the long drive home tired and worn out.  Kaleigh took 3rd in the 50cc class the top ranking girl, Lauryn took 5th in the 50cc class and that made 3 girls in the top 5, I couldn’t be more proud.  Shane took 5th in the Open A and was very happy about that finish.  We had a nice dinner at the track a potluck and got to hang out with our friends for the last time for the race season.  It is always bitter sweet saying goodbye after you have seen each other at least once a month, and your kids have been hanging out staying at each other’s campers and getting into mischief together.  So while I am glad some the traveling is done I hope that we can get together over the winter maybe for some skiing and catch up. 
Bring on the sweaters and slower pace, this race mama is ready!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts?

FMF: BLAME

 Hello, blog world I haven't been on here in forever, but today's prompt reminded me that I used to love this space. So here goes no...